Decoration Day Festivities!


Well now hasn't it been too long since I wrote a bit in my diary! Life is just rollin' on by faster than a filly in a derby, my John would say. My Granny Nettie loved Decoration Day, she told us stories of all the parades in her day. My they were grand! Granny Nettie made the most delicious 4 layer cakes you ever did taste and every Decoration Day she made a lot of them for the church table. Everyone wanted a slice of Nettie's cake. Her husband Sam, my Grandpa used to tell us stories of folks fightin' in line to get a slice. Granny always shushed him, but he kept on. He always had a good laugh which Granny weren't none too happy about. I most remember the vanilla ice cream done in the old crank ice cream maker. Was it delicious! I do hope there will be a bit of ice cream there! I am gonna ask John to get our ice cream maker down from the attic. Seems there was never time to do things like that--now it is so different. Won't the children love some homemade ice cream!

This Monday we honor all those who gave their precious lives for freedom. I don't think there is a family in the county who can't say they have a loved one or two that has served.

The past several holidays John and I just kept pluggin' along farmin' as usual. This year we are going to take the children to the parade. See the town brass band and the volunteer fire brigade ring their large brass bells. Guess we'll listen to the local politicians give a bit of speech concerning the day and those in town that have served, God bless them all. It is really exciting to be a part of it all.



Yesterday the children and I helped put flags on all the veterans in the church cemetery graveyard. There were 56 in all. Mrs. Gretchen Dillon has been in charge of coordinating all this for years-she does a fine job. 


After church service and the parade our church ladies are organizing a picnic on the town common. I have to bring two huge bowls of my potato salad which everyone seems to love and my homemade pickles. I am guessing 6 or 7 jars may be a good number. Good thing the garden is gettin' put in again as all my canning is runnin' pretty low. But that is common for this time of year. I also got some pretty little tussie mussies made for decorations on the tables. Oh they will look fine and the ladies can take them home after. I had red, white, and blue ribbon in my box to add a touch of patriotism to them too.

I do believe this will be a fine day! All the children are so excited and even John is lookin' forward to the festivities. He even helped construct the bandstand where the speeches are given with Deacon Henry from church.

This Mama is off to bed after a tiring day taking care of my home. I am ever so grateful for this home, my husband and my children---thank you for the second chance Lord!

Comments

  1. I just cannot tell you how much I enjoy these posts. I found them to be quite encouraging to me during a time of depression. Things were falling to pieces in the house, but I was feeling nagging guilt to try to find a job to help make ends meet. I stayed home. God has brought me through the depression. Thank you God! Your posts inspired me to do what I can with what I've got where I am. That was a couple of years ago.

    My husband is making a modest but steady income now. I am, now that summer's here, making progress in the house, and I'm so glad I stayed home where I belong.

    Thank you!

    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Laura,
    Your comment has touched me beyond words. Thank you for letting me know and I am praying for you!
    Blessings,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to read another bit of your story! The attitude of it all is so inspiring to get back up and get to work with these babies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Suzanne! I shall pray for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through "encourage one another" link up. I have thoroughly enjoyed it! You have a real gift for writing. I love "When Queens Drive By." I think the idea of you continuing Jenny's story is so unique! This has inspired me as I take care of my own home and family.
    I look forward to reading more diary entries from Jenny!
    Thank you again. :)
    ~Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great read! I read the original story around 2005, and a friend posted it again the other day--what timing! It makes an impression every time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a delayed comment, but realized I incorrectly stated I found you through "Encourage One Another." It was actually "Heart for Homemaking." Thank you again! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for leaving your thoughts here.

Popular posts from this blog

I was there once: part 2

When Queens Ride By~The Beginning

Stay connected