I was there once: part one



After church yesterday, Edna Beaton, head of the church meals ministry, asked if I would bring a home cooked meal to a young mother in our church who had a baby several days ago. After I gave it a moment of thought I said sure I could do that. Is tomorrow too soon Edna asked and I said no I could throw something together for her. I didn't know this gal even though our congregation wasn't that large , but Edna said they had only been coming to worship for about two months or so. Edna also confided they had moved into the old Bennett place right outside of town just a few months back and the woman had four littles and seemed a bit overwhelmed often times. Edna gave me the gals information and we all headed home.

This morning after chores and getting the breakfast dishes done I sent the boys off with John. He had fences to check and they went along with him. RuthAnn and I set to work baking. Since this young mum had four boys I figured they must eat a heap. I knew I was going to bake another strawberry and rhubarb pie so I got the dough made and chilled. I figured those boys could use some cookies so I had RuthAnn set to work on some oatmeal raisin ones. The house was smelling right delicious with those cookies baking. I was so happy for a low temperature and humidity day! While RuthAnn watched the cookies I set to making my Swedish meatballs with gravy and noodles.  I had a large pan finished when John and the boys got back and they were after me to sample the cookies. I let them all have a couple cookies and got the milk out of the icebox and poured 'em all a glass. Nothing like a cookie with ice cold farm fresh milk! John took the boys back out to check fences and I sent them off with left over fried chicken and potato salad with a jug of lemonade. Then I got the two pies made, one for them and one for us.



I packed up a basket with the meal and I don't know why, but I had a feeling I should take over a few of my herbs and teas for after baby care. Funny feeling had snuck up on me and I listened to it. I got the baby changed and headed out bout three. We pulled up to 38 Olde Country Road and I wondered if anyone was home. The house looked sort of deserted.



I knocked and a young boy answered and said his Mama was lying down right now and wasn't seeing visitors. I told him to go tell his Mama I was from church and had brought a meal for the family. He race off pulling the door open some and I peered inside. Boy hardy the living room was strewn with laundry everywhere. Baskets of clothes were on the floors and nothing had been tended to.  Mrs. Williams came to the door with a baby in her arms swaddled in a pink blanket, she seemed very nervous as she introduced herself and young boy. I told  her who we were and that we brought over a meal. That church often sent a weeks worth of meals to families who just had a baby. She seemed pretty surprised and I asked if Edna hadn't called to notify her. Seems she didn't know the receiver was off the hook the better part of Sunday and today, must have been one of the boys she said. Very reluctantly she let me in and showed me into her kitchen.....

....to be continued.

Comments

  1. To be continued? I hope it's soon! I'm looking forward to seeing how their visit goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzanne, I just love your writing! Thank you so much for another installment! I read these so eagerly, for I have felt many of the things that our lady of the house has felt along the way. Be blessed dear writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! The story continues! I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for encouraging me dear ladies:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for the rest of the story. I bet Jennie's herbs and teas will give the new mother the vim and vigor she needs to manage her home and children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first found your blog some time ago and read Jennie's story for the first time. I promptly gave up one of my two jobs.
    I love your writing. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm am so excited to see Jennie writing in her journal again. Can't wait for part 2 I just know it's going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Suzanne,
    I'm ready for part 2! Please? I enjoy this story so very much.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cup of water in His name, blesses receiver and giver. Jennie's Journal is blessing me, thank you. And, thank you for visiting Thistle Cove Farm; you're always welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful & very honest, love love love it!!
    It has also shamed me good. There are things involved in housekeeping that I detest, as in dusting and folding clothes. I used to wait till I couldn't find a path from room to room.
    In '98 I was in an auto accident that left me disbled so, since then, I just "hurt" when those need doing!
    I have let so much slide through the years, but as I started reading this, I am slowly getting at least 1 task in 1 room done.
    I am Jennie with the fall cleaning, can't tell you the last time I did it, but I am slowly doing it now.
    Thank you for this, it reminded me of my place in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When is the next installment coming?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm ready for a new entry Suzanne! How about you?
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Suzanne. I am wondering when we can expect the 2nd part of this story...it's going on two years.

    I revisit it from time to time when I want to stoke my homefires.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne, I don’t know how it was that I first stumbled upon your writing several years ago. I have read and re-read Jennie’s story so many times and each and every time it has been a balm to me. We all have times where the every day tasks can wear on us a bit. I am always so encouraged when I read this blog. I look forward to more journal entries! I just wanted you to know that your writing truly has such an encouraging impact. Thank you for sharing your gift of writing. Blessings. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, Wendy Davenport said it much more gracefully than I! Yes, a "balm" is truly the right word. I didn't intend for my comment to come out as terse as it did.
    Happy Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for leaving your thoughts here.

Popular posts from this blog

I was there once: part 2

When Queens Ride By~The Beginning

Stay connected